Contact Info

Honor Flight of Southern Colorado

Phone: 719-258-9946, Fax 719-392-3737
PO Box 50816
Colorado Springs, Colorado 80949

Third Flight


Meet the Veterans of our Third Flight!

    Frank Armstrong (8.27.24)

Frank entered the Army Air Corp in 1943. During his time in service he was a Corporal. Frank spent his time stateside, mostly in Las Vegas working on B-17s. After the war ended Frank left service in 1946. Not long after he decided life wasn’t that bad and rejoined in 1947. He then spent time in Japan and Berlin during the Berlin Airlift. Finally in 1966 Frank retired from the Air Force as a Master Sergeant.

   Raymond (Moe) Brown (3.23.27)

Moe entered the Navy in 1945. He signed up for the duration of the War plus 6 months. He was a Seaman 2nd Class. Moe spent his service at the Memphis Naval Base where he started out as a mess cook serving food to prisoners and sailors in two lines up to 400 per line per meal! One day a Petty Officer 2nd Class came in and asked if anyone could type. Moe said yes, a little worried about what he got himself into. But it was a good thing; he went from Mess Cook to Storekeeper and managed a warehouse all because he said he could type! Moe left the Navy in 1946.

Scott L. Defebaugh (4.29.23)

Scott entered the Army in 1943. During his service in the Army Medical Corp he rose to the rank of Corporal, and later to Lt. Colonel. During WWII he spent most of his time stateside and in England. One of the stories Scott shared was about the night before D-Day, which had no name at the time. He was working at a hospital near Stonehenge and he found himself walking that night and witnessed the planes gathering to head to Normandy for the attack, it was quite a sight to see. Then 18 hours later he found himself in Southern England working with the wounded from D-Day. Scott left the Army in 1946, only to join the reserves and serve for forty years.

  Sonia (Sunny) Evans (10.10.24)

Sunny joined the Navy Waves in 1943. She started out at boot camp in New York. Sunny became Specialist First Class and ended up in Washington DC working across from the Pentagon. She was assigned to teach recreation, being that she was a Physical Education major in college, swimming and softball are a few examples. She also wrote for the newspaper. She met her husband on a blind date at the USO there in Washington DC. Sunny left the Navy Waves in 1945.

  Manuel (Rocky) Garber (12.10.25)

Rocky entered the Navy in 1943. During his service he was Seaman 1st Class. Rocky spent his service going all over the Asiatic Pacific as a Boat Coxswain as part of a specially trained invasion group. He was in a volcano crater area that created a secure harbor where he witnessed one of the largest assemblies of warships in a secret and isolated area in the Pacific. He tells the story of how he wrote his mother a letter and later saw it to see that the majority of it was censored, they thought his poor spelling was code he was passing along! Rocky then went to Guam where he spent time building Hoover’s Park Recreation Beach for the men to use to relax as they prepared to leave the service. Rocky left the Navy in 1946 at the age of 20 with 3 battle stars under his belt.

  Alvin Howard (11.12.20)

Alvin entered the Army in 1942. During his service in the Army Engineers he served as a corporal. Alvin served in Algiers, Africa where he was injured on June 21, 1943 when a dynamite cap went off in his face. He was taken immediately to the station hospital for a few days and then took a train through the Sahara and Fez and onto Casablanca and the 6th General Hospital. In August Alvin was sent stateside where he spent the rest of his recovery. He was formally discharged with the Purple Heart and disability on February 12, 1945.

  Roy Hughes (2.2.27)

Roy entered the Marines in 1943 at the age of 16. He trained at Parris Island, Quantico, and Camp Pendleton before leaving to the Marshall Islands. Once the Marshall’s were secured they were sent to Maui for a few months and then it was back to Saipan until that was secured. Another rest on the Big Island of Hawaii was followed by being a part of the invasion of Iwo Jima. Once Iwo Jima was secured Roy was diverted to Guam for eight months and then the war was over. Roy left the Marines in December of 1945 and finished high school and two years of college before he joined the Army and served with them for 21 years.


  Charles (Chuck) Leonard (10.15.25)

Chuck entered the Army Air Corp in 1944 after he was pulled out of high school, even though he was supposed to get 6 months after he turned 18 before he’d be called up. During his service he was to be a B-29 Engineer in the Cadet Program. His first 3 months were spent doing basic training and 6 months of college, ironically Chuck missed his High School graduation because he was already in the college part of his program! The rest of his training was rushed and the bomb was dropped and the war was over before he went even further, if it would’ve continued Chuck would have become a 2nd Lieutenant. Chuck left in 1946 only to be called back for Korea since he stayed in the reserves. Once again he was called out of schooling, this time they wouldn’t take him, he was married to the lovely Doe!

  Doris (Doe) Leonard (3.27.25)

Doe entered the Navy Waves in 1945. She went into the Waves at the age of 20 with her parents consent to study meteorology. Doe went to Aerographer School in Lakehurst, NJ and then was stationed in Florida. Her base closed when the war ended. She was one of the many celebrating V-J Day in New York City.  She left the Waves in 1946 and headed to Michigan State where she met Chuck and they married in 1949.

  Charles Miller (7.17.25)

Charles entered the Navy the in 1943.  During his service Charles started doing destroyer repair in the Philippines, and then was stationed with the USS Hornet when it was commissioned. After a time Petty Officer 3rd Class Miller was sent to V-12 training, the program didn’t work to well for Charles and he was back to the Philippines again to serve out his time. After 2 years 10 months and 22 days in 1946 Charles left the Navy.

  William (Bill) Moore (7.1.24)

Bill joined the Army in 1942. During his service Bill was a Radio Operator for B-29s as a Sergeant. Bill spent his time based out of Saipan and participated in 6 missions. He was then appointed to West Point after spending some time prepping for it at Cornell. He reported to West Point July 1, 1945 and graduated in 1949. Following West Point Bill went on to serve in Korea as part of the Corp of Engineers where in built and blew up bridges. He followed up Korea with some service in Vietnam until he retired from the Army in 1973.

  Clifford (Cliff) Naleski (6.14.21)

Cliff entered the Army in 1942 as a Sergeant. During his time in the service he was apart of the instrument repair ordinance of the 14th Armor Division. He spent most of his time in Germany trying to stay alive. His job was to work on the tanks to protect the troops. He has interesting stories of his time talking to General Patton, so if you meet Cliff ask him to share! After the war, he stayed in the Army finally retiring in 1972 after thirty years of service.

  Harvey Opfer (9.3.21)

Harvey joined the Marines in 1940. He was at boot camp in San Diego when Pearl Harbor was attached.  Not long after he was shipped out to the Solomon Islands in the Pacific where they were cut off from food for days, and made due with a little rice they found. He was then sent to Guadalcanal where in 1942 he was hit and still has the shrapnel in his arm today. He returned to there in 1943 and had many other close calls during the almost four years he spent in Guadalcanal. Finally after a few run-ins with malaria he was sent stateside for a time. He then returned to duty in Maui when the Atomic Bomb was dropped. Harvey left the Marines in 19_ and returned to college. In 1951 he joined the Air Force until his retirement in 1972.

  Delmar Richardson (3.4.28)

Del entered the Army Air Corps in 1946 as part of the 11th Airborne, something he is proud of. During his service Del was a T4 Buck Sergeant sent to Japan and the isolated island of Honshu. During his time there Del served as a Court Marshall reporter and they weren’t allowed to fraternize at all with the local people. Del ended his service with the Army Air Corp almost exactly two years later in 1948.

Robert (Bob) Snider (2.18.26)

Bob joined the Army in 1943. Bob started out as PFC BAR rifleman in the infantry. He went all over Europe doing has he was told. He left the Army in 1948 for a time but went back in the 1950 and spent 1950/51 in Korea as a Corporal. Once he got back from Korea he left the service again until 1954, where he became a Staff Sergeant. He spent time in Europe again and in 1965 was sent to Vietnam. Bob retired from the Army in 1969.

  Dale Stoker (1.4.26)

Dale entered the Navy in 1943. During his time in the service he was a Hospital Apprentice 1st Class. Dale tells a great story about his first day in the Navy. He went to Denver to enlist and get his physical. The Navy put him up in a tiny hotel where the accommodations where well below par. There was no lock on the door, which allowed a very drunk man to wander into bed with him until Dale kicked him out! After that the door was locked with a chair. Dale figured if that was his first night in the Navy it had to get better and it did! Dale left the Navy in 1946.

  Paul Williams (7.7.23)

Paul entered the Army in 1942. He started out as Private First Class, eventually ending up as a Staff Sergeant, in the 10th Mountain Division on the Army. Paul was trained for the mountains in Colorado and then was sent off to Italy. His division helped push Germans back from Florence Italy to the Alps. Paul said he would’ve had a higher ranking but the country he was in was so beautiful that he and friends would go off hiking, only to come back to lose stripes! Paul is an amazing artist providing sketches of the battles he took part in. Look for some on our website soon! Paul left the Army in 1946.