Contact Info

Honor Flight of Southern Colorado

Phone: 719-258-9946, Fax 719-392-3737
PO Box 50816
Colorado Springs, Colorado 80949

Second Flight


Meet the Veterans for our Second Flight!

  Adolph Wolff (10.12.14)

Adolph entered the Army from New York in 1942. During his service he rose to rank of Master Sergeant. During the WWII he spent most of his time in France and Germany. One of his favorite stories to share takes close to the German-France border. It had rained for thirty days and Adolph and his fellow soldiers were hiding out in a bombed out basement very near German patrols. One night a man appears looking for a doctor, Adolph takes him to the medical area and turned in his weapon for a red cross. He went with the man back to his home. During this time a German patrol came near and Adolph had to hid under a bed, little did he know he was no behind enemy lines! He delivered a baby boy that night to a nice German couple and headed back to where he came from. A few years later he was at Ramstein Air Base and recognized the area. He went back to the house and saw a small boy outside playing, the boy ran inside to get his parents and sure enough that was the little boy Adolph delivered now six years old! Adolph discharged from the Army in August of 1946. He will be the birthday boy on the day the Honor Flight leaves for Washington 98 years young.

  Clyde Womer (12.1.22)

Clyde entered the Navy from New York in 1942. He served  as Storekeeper 3rd Class  for the Pacific Fleet Headquarters Advance Base  Administration until January 1944 when he entered the V-12 Navy ROTC program for the duration of the war. During his time at Pacific Fleet HQ Clyde was involved in planning for many strikes across the Central Pacific. While he was there he got to know Admiral Nimitz who he didn’t have to salute since at HQ you were too busy to! From HQ he went to college where he completed a four year degree in two years, studying and working six days a week with only three holidays. The college years took a toll on Clyde and he received a pep talk call from Admiral Nimitz one day where he reminded him it’s not about the other stuff it’s all about class rank and Clyde took his words to heart and he became Platoon Company Battalion Commander. After his time at HQ and university Clyde discharged from the Navy in 1946.

  Earl Clark ( 10.23.19)

Earl entered the Army from Georgia in 1939. He served as a Sergeant First Class in the 1st Army Engineers. During WWII Earl worked as a heavy equipment operator and it took him to many places. From Algeria to Tunisia to Sicily and then to England where he stayed for seven months as the preparations for D-Day were being made. Earl was a part of the D-Day invasion on June 6, 1944. After invading France he continued on through Belgium and Germany to serve.  He decided to discharge on VJ Day in 1945. But Earl just could not stay away from the Army, he reenlisted and served in both the Korean and Vietnam wars until he officially retired in 1969 from service.

  Howard Casey (7.14.23)

Howard entered the Army Air Corp from Michigan in 1943 at age 19. During WWII Howard served as a gunner on B-24s and served in the European theater. On the plane’s 13th mission in September 1944 they were shot down near Munich. Howard and his fellow airmen made it into Switzerland where even though it was a neutral country they were held as POWs along with those from the RAF, Italy, Americans, and those from the Slavic nations. He was repatriated in 1945 when he was traded for German soldiers. Howard also had the opportunity to fly along the Tuskegee Airmen whom he calls Guardian Angels. His war adventures ended in 1945 when he discharged from the Army Air Corp.

  Howard Pease (1.4.26)

Howard entered the Navy from Colorado in 1944. During WWII Howard served as a Electrician Mate 3rd Class. He started doing electrical work at Norfolk Naval Air Station and transitioned to the USS Tarazed a food supply ship obtained from United Food Lines that also had on board a desalination equipment. Howard and the USS Tarazed traveled all around the Atlantic, north to Reykjavik and south to Argentina. One of the stories he likes to share is that his ship brought back war brides from Iceland many who had children. Many of the mothers became very sea sick so the crew adopted the children and cared for them while at sea. They set up little hammocks for them to sleep in and always made sure their charge was fed and changed before they started their shift and the next man took over. Unlike the Navy saying, Howard did not have a girl in every port and he was kind enough to trade leave with those who did have a girl stateside in return for their leave in foreign ports so he could see the world. Howard’s navy adventures ended in 1946 when he discharged.

  Jack Traxler (12.31.18)

Jack entered the Army from Colorado in 1941 where his was drafted while attending college in Denver. During WWII Jack served as a Staff Sergeant on the USS Acadia, a hospital ship. Jack and USS Acadia crossed the Atlantic 16 times bringing back those who needed more medical attention than they could receive in Europe. They would make trips from Charleston to Italy, Africa, and Scotland and each trip would bring 500 men back. Jack decided to discharge shortly after the war was over in 1945 and move his young family back home to Colorado. Jack is excited to go back to Washington DC here he was born while his father served in the War Department during WWI.

  James ‘Max’ Beham (3.13.25)

Max entered the Army from Queens New York in 1943. During WWII he served as Artillery and the 85th Infantry.  Max participated in three major battles, and captured Rome, he travelled throughout North Africa (Algeria), Naples Italy, Anzio – Neuttono, Anzio Beachhead, the Appenine’s mountains and supported the 10th Mountain Division; breaking through the Gothic lines; he earned 3 battle stars.  Max ended his time in the Army in 1946 and returned home to Queens County New York.

  James 'Jim' Welty (9.5.26)

Jim entered the Navy from Winona, Minnesota in 1944. During WWII he served as a Radioman 3rd Class on the USS San Diego. Jim went to boot camp in Idaho before he headed off to the Pacific. His ship was one of the many that protected aircarft carriers. He went to Okinawa, the end of Iwo Jima and then into Tokyo Bay. Jim's ship was the first US warship to enter Tokyo Bay on August 28, 1945 and then left prior to the official surrender on August 30, 1945. Jim and the USS San Diego also participated in teh Magic Carpet Operation that brought back men with enough points for discharge to the states from American Samoa and other islands in the South Pacific. Jim ended his time in the Navy in June 1946.

  Jess Masias (3.28.23)

Jess entered the Marine Corp from Denver not long after the attacks on Pearl Harbor. During WWII he served as in communications as a Corporal. Jess was part of the 2nd Marine Division and went all around the Pacific. He arrived at Guadalcanal as that battle was ending, survived the beaches of Tarawa with his equipment. Went to Hawaii for what to some would seem like R&R for more training. Then it was back to the Pacific for Tinian, Saipan, and Okinawa. Jess ended his service with the Marines not long after Japan surrendered. One of his prize possessions he brought back from the war was a Samurai Sword that he picked up out of a pile and it became a treasure which dates back to the 1400s!

  Le Roy Jensen (7.31.21)

Le Roy entered the Army from Colorado in 1942. During WWII Le Roy served as a Technician 5th Grade.  Le Roy went extensively throughout Europe  through England, France, Germany, and Czechoslovakia. He was part of the supply group that would provide meals, weapons, and treats to the men on the lines. He used to trade the coveted American Candy with Europeans for local wines fresh from the vineyards nearby, a pretty good trade to him! Le Roy ended his time in the Army in 1946 and returned home to Colorado.

  Pete Demario (9.29.22)

Pete entered the Navy from Wyoming in 1942. During WWII he started as an E7 serving in the Aleutian Islands.  From there he became the radioman on the USS Hornet spending his time in the Pacific theatre going to every island there except Japan, by the time they started the head to Japan the war had ended.  Pete is proud to have served on the Hornet because at the time it was the most decorated ship in the Navy  having two unit citations and twelve battle stars.  One of the most memorable was the Marianas where the Hornet and other US ships survived being caught in the harbor while the Japanese attached from shore. After the war ended Pete discharged from the Navy in late 1945.

Raymond Feather (9.23.20)

Ray entered the Navy from Illinois in 1944. During WWII he served as a Motor Machinist 3rd Class on the USS Cabot in the Sea of Japan. Travel was slow  and the ship was full of men. Ray remembers having to eat sandwiches three times a day, every day for weeks. Another highlight for Ray was spending two weeks with Ernie Pyle. Pyle would hang around where the machinists would and have coffee and chat with them. He remembers Pyle as quite a character and was happy to have met him not long before his death. Ray discharged from the Navy in 1946.

  Sherwood Gray (7.11.27)

Sherwood entered the Army in Pennsylvania in 1945 but wasn’t called to duty until 1946. During WWII Sherwood served as Corporal. He did basic training in Aberdeen, Maryland followed  by three months of technical training in Georgia. Then he spent one year as a working guard at a German POW camp in Italy. Then he headed back to Fort Bragg and spent more training in Georgia and followed by a discharge in 1949. Some of his fondest memories of Army life was being a paratrooper with the infamous 82nd Airborne Division.

  William ‘Lew’  Finalyson (8.11.18)

Lew entered the Army Air Corp from California in 1944. During WWII he served as  a Corporal. Lew worked at many Air Bases from Texas to California to Arizona. Lew is proud to have served his country stateside during the war until 1945. It wasn’t until after his time in the Army Air Corp that he traveled the world for the government as a civilian mechanic and once again served his country in a different way.


Our deepest thanks to all who made our Second Flight Happen

-          Honor Flight Network – Provided $10,000 Grant to make this trip possible

-          Wayne and Roberta Henry (WWII Veterans)

-          Merle Kneebone (WWII Veteran)

-          Donald Carbaugh (WWII Veteran)

-          Ken Wagner (WWII Veteran) and his wife Alice

-          John Bledsoe (WWII Veteran deceased) and his Family

-          Don Knapp (WWII Veteran)

-          Amy and Grady Mitchell

-          Congressmen Doug Lamborn

-          Congressmen Scott Tipton

-          Mr. Ed Bircham

-          HONOR HANDS Jerry and Anne Vinnola

-          Marilyn Canitz, President of Quilts From The Heart, Inc -(501 (c) 3)

-          Major General Anderson (Fort Carson)

-          Maj Gen (Retired Air Force) Gar Graham and Pikes Peak Round Table

-          VFW Post 4051 (Colorado Springs)

-          Ladies Aux Branch of the American Legion Post #209 Pocket Flag Project-(501 (c) 3)

-          Park State Bank of Woodland Park

-          Rotary Club of Colorado Springs InterQuest

-          The American Medical Response team (Colorado Springs)

-          10th Medical Group (Air Force Academy)

-          Doctors Supply Inc. (Colorado Springs)

-          Tri-West (Colorado Springs)

-          Applebee’s on Godard Street in Colorado Springs

-          The Colorado Springs Patriot Guard

-          Colorado Springs, Denver Int, and Reagan Airport Support Teams

-          All Honor Flight of Southern Colorado Board and team members

-          Emilio Martinez – JEM VIDEO

-          Additional Production Services provided by Access Media Group